The ten best concerts this weekend: Nov. 16-18
Jim Narcy Wovenhand's show tonight at the Oriental Theater is one of the weekend's ten best concerts.
Aw yeah! It's Friday! TGIF and all that. Ready to rock and pop the top of a few colds ones? Too early to start thinking about cold ones? You just barely finished your coffee? Pffth! In the words of Mr. Jackson, it's five o'clock somewhere. Anyhow, yeah, the weekend. Brace yourself, amigos. There's an unreal amount of choice music to soundtrack your downtime. If you're a completist with proclivity for planning your own itinerary, we've got a comprehensive list of all the shows in our concert calendar. If you'd prefer a more curated approach, however, we've put together a list of the ten best concerts this weekend. Keep reading to get the full rundown.
- Brian King of Japandroids on Husker Du, the Gun Club and the lost art of album art
- David Eugene Edwards of Wovenhand on the influence of Middle Eastern music
- Gramatik on joining Pretty Lights Music
- Brent Loveday of Reno Divorce: "Originality is the evolution of influence"
- Meet Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band
- With Pioneer, the Mesa Rockers Step Away From Warner Bros.
10. REV. PEYTON'S BIG DAMN BAND @ BLUEBIRD | SAT, 11/17/12
While Reverend Peyton is a big dude with a booming voice, his band really isn't that big in numbers. There's the Rev himself, who plays a mean slide on his resonator guitar; his wife, Washboard Breezy, who scrapes the hell out of a washboard; and Aaron "Cuz" Persinger chugging away on a stripped-down drum kit. You get these three together, though, and they make some big damn music. Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band rips through backwoods Mississippi Delta blues with the fervor and the fury of the Ramones, getting crowds stomping and hollering all over the world.