Ween's Pure Guava turns twenty years old today
"Push Th' Little Daisies," which received a music video treatment that was roundly mocked by Beavis and Butt-Head on MTV, also hinted at progressions to come for the pair. Gene Ween's soaring falsetto on the bright tune would reappear on "Freedom of '76," while Dean's guitar work veers from the out-of-tune, tongue-in-cheek delivery that marked so much of The Pod.
Like so many moments on the record, the song is a hint of the more mature Ween to come. Sure, it's cloaked in a bit of weirdness and yes, the tune caused Beavis and Butt-Head to declare, "These guys have no future." That prediction proved false. Two decades filled with challenging music that crossed too many boundaries to count followed.
- Today in History album anniversary archive
- Ween's The Pod turns twenty years old today
- Gene Ween on Ween's history, working with Dean Ween and playing in Colorado
- Review: Aaron Freeman at the Fox Theatre, 11/2/12
- Review: Ween at the Fillmore Auditorium, 12/29/11
- Review: Ween at the Fillmore Auditorium, 12/30/11
- Review: Ween at the Fillmore Auditorium, 12/31/11
- Review: Ween at 1STBANK Center, 10/31/10
- Ten best Beavis and Butt-head music-video riffs