Cooking with Pete: Braised Spanish chicken
Pete Marczyk and Barbara Macfarlane do not leave their work behind when they leave Marczyk Fine Foods and head for their great old Denver house with the big, new kitchen. They often bring some of their market's choicest ingredients home with them, and cook up a feast.
partner in crime brother, loves to cook, says Barb. "He's got some killer recipes of his own, including a fantastic for recipe for braised Spanish chicken, which he made for us the other night." Serve the chicken, recommends Barb, with a loaf of great bed and your favorite pasta.
Paul's Braised Spanish Chicken
4 whole chicken legs, split into legs and thighs
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 ounces Palacios chorizo sausage, thinly sliced (available at Marczyk's)
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 5-ounce jar green olives, plain or garlic-stuffed, drained
2 cups white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil in a braising pan over medium high heat.
3. Add chorizo and brown lightly on both sides. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of grease and set the chorizo aside.
4. In the same pan, add onions and sautée until soft, about 6 minutes. Set onions aside.
5. To the same braising pan, add the chicken legs and thighs and salt and pepper. Brown the chicken, about 8 minutes per side.
6. Place the sausage coins and onions back into the pan, and add tomatoes and garlic cloves.
7. Cook for one hour. Remove from oven. Add the olives and 2 cups of white wine. Cook one more hour.
Serve with bread and pasta of your choice.