In the kitchen with Jack-n-Grill's Jack Martinez: Frito pie
Self-described green chile warrior Jack Martinez, the owner/chef of two Jack-n-Grill restaurants (a third outlet, in Westminster, will open in October), and the subject of this week's Chef and Tell interview, has a huge family that benefits from his cooking capabilities. One of their favorites dishes is Frito pie, a dish that's been on the menu at Jack-n-Grill from day one. It's an inexpensive dish to prepare, feeds a small crowd and it's vegetarian.
"Frito Pastel de Chile Verde"
(Green Chile Frito Pie)
2 cups Fritos
8 whole roasted and peeled green chiles, stems removed
1/4 pound shredded Longhorn cheddar cheese
1/4 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Grease a 10-inch pie pan.
2. Slit chiles lengthwise and shape the chiles in the pie pan to form a crust.
3. Using a hand mixer, blend eggs, cream, salt and pepper at low speed.
4. Layer Fritos, shredded cheeses and blended mixture in the pie pan.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until set.