Cooking with Pete and Barb Marczyk: Pumpkin soup
Pete Marczyk and Barbara Macfarlane do not leave their work behind when they leave Marczyk Fine Foods and head for their great old Denver house with the big, new kitchen. They often bring some of their market's choicest ingredients home with them, and cook up a feast.
Barb is in a book club, and four times a year, she and her friends meet to discuss the assigned book club reading, drink wine and eat. Fellow book club member Kristen Sloan recently made a pumpkin soup for the group, the recipe of which is on the following page. "On a blustery fall night, it really hits the spot, and we all really like the heat in it," says Barb. The recipe calls for canned pumpkin, but you can certainly roast a pie pumpkin and use that instead.
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Two 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon powdered ginger
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more
4 cups unsalted chicken broth
¾ cup half and half
Salt and pepper to taste
Candied ginger, finely diced
1. Saute onions in butter, until translucent.
2. Add powdered ginger, red pepper flakes and chicken broth. Stir and simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. In small batches, puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender. *Remember, hot liquid makes the top of the blender pop off.*
4. Return the soup back to pot on stove. Add half and half and stir, being careful not to let the soup come to a boil.
5. Serve with candied ginger sprinkled on top.