Cooking with Pete and Barb Marczyk: Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich
Pete Marczyk and Barbara Macfarlane do not leave their work behind when they leave Marczyk Fine Foods and head for their great old Denver house with the big, new kitchen. They often bring some of their market's choicest ingredients home with them, and cook up a feast.
In honor of Kevin Hickman, who hails from Kentucky, works at Marczyk's and qualified for the Boston Marathon, Pete and Barb's recipe this week is a famous Kentucky tradition: Hot brown sandwiches with turkey, bacon, cheddar cheese and sliced tomatoes. "This is not part of Kevin's training diet," admits Barb, "but it is an amazing sandwich." In fact, says Barb, her sister, who has a restaurant in Vermont, put this on her menu and it was a "huge hit."
Run, Kevin, run!
Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound cooked turkey, thinly sliced
8 slices toast, crusts trimmed
4 slices tomato
8 strips bacon, cooked until crisp
Additional 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low, add flour and stir until smooth and bubbly.
2. Add milk, salt, Worcestershire sauce, cheddar cheese, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
3. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.
4. Cut toast in half diagonally and place on a baking sheet (or use individual baking dishes).
5. Arrange turkey slices on the toast and cover with hot cheese sauce.
6. Top with tomato slices and bacon strips then sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over each sandwich.
7. Place under broiler until hot and bubbly and lightly browned.