The Micky Manor has gone dark
For almost eighty years, the Micky Manor -- and that's Micky, without an "e" -- has been a landmark on Federal Boulevard, its trademark-respecting neon Mickey and Minnie signs a constant.
The neon Mickey sign has gone out at the Micky Manor.
But now the mouse has left the house.
The old firehouse at 2544 Federal Boulevard first became the Micky Manor in 1932, and that identity stuck for the next 75 years, through a couple of owners and managers, one of whom made it a haven for classic Rockybilt burgers. A brief transformation to the Twelfth Man in 2006 didn't last, and Micky made a comeback in 2007, the neon repaired and shining brighter than ever.
But the place has gone dark again, with the last tenant clearing out. The building's owner has reclaimed the neon signs, and is currently considering a few possibilities for the property -- Jack-n-Grill, which is just across the parking lot, has always been hungry for more space, for starters.
Nothing's been decided yet...but this stretch of Federal definitely looks duller without Mickey and Minnie.