White beans and kale with parsnips on Meatless Monday
The film Forks Over Knives has been called "vegan propaganda" by some and lauded as a truth-filled wake-up call by others. I haven't seen it, but that didn't stop me from picking up the official Forks Over Knives Cookbook as soon as it was available. This is an adaptation on the book's white beans and escarole with parsnips recipe; we used kale instead of escarole, halved the amount of parsnips, and added apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes for a little extra flavor kick.
- Traditional potato salad, vegan-style, for a cookout side dish on Meatless Monday
- Shepherd's pie with tempeh satisfies on Meatless Monday
- Black bean soup to welcome fall on Meatless Monday
You will need:
Oil for the skillet (we used coconut oil)
1 medium yellow onion
1 large parsnip
4-6 cloves garlic
1 bunch kale
2 cans cannellini beans
1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Rinse and drain the cannellini beans.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with a little bit of oil.
3. Peel and dice the onion.