Vegan zucchini bread for a sweet seasonal treat on Meatless Monday
There are so many monster zucchini ready to harvest in our garden that we're planning to make zucchini bread. A lot of it. And take it to friends and coworkers. And probably complete strangers. This vegan recipe (adapted for mile-high altitude from The Joy of Vegan Baking) is moist and delicious. And the sugar and oil it it ensures that it'll never be mistaken for health food -- and that people will actually eat it.
- Vegan pancakes for a fast and delicious breakfast on Meatless Monday
- Chocolate-chip vegan scones for a breakfast treat on Meatless Monday
- Vegan banana walnut muffins for breakfast on Meatless Monday
You will need:
2 cups grated zucchini (about 1/4 to 1/3 of that behemoth in the photo; it measures out to about 240 grams)
3 tablespoons egg replacement powder (or equivalent of 3 eggs)
9 tablespoons water
1 cup oil (or 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce)
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Splash of non-dairy milk (coconut is preferable)
We highly recommend a food processor (with a grating attachment) for this recipe so that you don't give up before you even finish grating the zucchini!
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease two loaf pans (or spray with cooking spray).
2. Grate the zucchini, ideally in a food processor.
3. Measure the tablespoons of egg replacer and water into a small bowl and whisk together thoroughly, until creamy.