Vegan pumpkin spice bread with chocolate chips for a sweet treat on Meatless Monday
Yes, you can make a vegan pumpkin pie -- but this spice bread is a lot lower in fat and calories, it's just as tasty and it contains chocolate. Adapted from The Joy of Vegan Baking for altitude, this is what we'll be using for our vegan Thanksgiving dessert this year.
- Vegan zucchini bread for a sweet seasonal treat on Meatless Monday
- Vegan green bean casserole for a holiday side dish on Meatless Monday
- Cucumber-and-onion salad for a snack on Meatless Monday
You will need:
3 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill egg replacer powder (or 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed, or equivalent of 3 eggs other egg replacer)
9 tablespoons water (or use amount on other egg-replacer instructions)
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 can pumpkin puree (14 ounces)
3 1/8 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup nondairy chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil two loaf pans.
1. Place the egg replacement and the water in a bowl and whisk together until creamy.
2. Put the sugar, applesauce, pumpkin puree and egg replacer together in a large bowl.
Mix until thoroughly combined.