Easy baked beans for a cookout side dish on Meatless Monday
Baked beans are must-haves with barbecue -- but they're a great dish on their own. This version (adapted from Veganomicon) is very easy -- the only prep involved is chopping onions, peeling garlic and draining beans -- and the dish gets better as it sits. So make it a day or two ahead of your friend's cookout -- if you can resist eating it yourself.
- Black bean soup to welcome fall on Meatless Monday
- White beans and kale with parsnips on Meatless Monday
- Traditional potato salad, vegan-style, for a cookout side dish on Meatless Monday
You will need:
2 medium onions
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves garlic
2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
1 cup molasses
4 teaspoons ground mustard
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3 small bay leaves (or two large)
4 15-ounce cans white beans
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F; rinse and drain your canned beans.
3. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, oven-safe pot.