25 things you never knew about Mikey Mazzotta, bartender at the Squire Lounge
As Westword's Ask the Bartender columnist, I've talked with many bartenders for Cafe Society's "Behind the Bar" series, posing numerous questions to Denver's top bartenders...and often receiving the same answers: "I love chartreuse," or "I'm really into smoked cocktails/barrel aging/bottled cocktails."
Some time ago, a Facebook friend posted 25 things about himself that most people weren't aware of -- and then he tagged me in the post, at which point I was supposed to do the same: rattle off 25 little-known facts about myself and ask someone else to follow suit. Instead, I'm asking Denver's bartenders to get up and close with Westword readers and share 25 lesser known tidbits about themselves -- and then name the next bartender that I should interview.
I've been going to the Squire Lounge, an East Colfax staple, for about thirteen years, the same number of years I've lived in Denver. Here, you can always count on a stiff drink, friendly bartenders and, in years past, an eclectic, unusual crowd. It reminds me of the dives that I haunted in Jersey City, so it definitely feels like home to me. But earlier this year, the Squire got a facelift, and the crowd has changed a bit (for the better). The old girl is a lot prettier, too, and bartender Mikey Mazzotta takes care of his guests with effortless ease. In fact, his personality is perfectly suited to this quintessential East Colfax hangout. In the entertaining interview that follows, Mazzotta admits to an unhealthy obsession with Miley Cyrus, claims he's been partying hard since he was an infant and warns that you'd better stay away from his Percocet.
1. I've always partied this fucking hard...ever since I was a baby.
2. I grew up skateboarding in Southern California, but moved to Denver eight years ago to live with my brother and be a part of Satellite Boardshop.
3. NS Krüe forever.
4. My buddy and I own a motorcycle shop called "Shit Bird." I only show up when I feel like it, and it pisses him off.
5. I play in a group called Cobraconda with some of my best friends. Those dudes know how to party better then anyone I know.
6. My first band was called Molotov Rocktail. We sucked, but it's still one of my favorite band names of all time.
7. I once survived a whole week drinking nothing but tequila and Tecate. T.F.F.T.
8. I am no longer associated with the Shag Lounge. End of story. But bartender Charley Cox is still one of the coolest dudes out there.
9. I tried to fight one of the cast members of Pawn Stars on the Las Vegas Strip. Reed Wolf had to pull me away.
10. I once got a tattoo while I was backstage at a Naughty By Nature concert. It says "What Ever You Want Babes." Yes, I knew it's spelled wrong. Yes, I thought it was funnier that way.