Oskar Blues Liquids and Solids evacuated after employees sickened; restaurant remains closed

Categories: Cafe Society

oskarblues-solids-liquids.jpg
Employees of Oskar Blues Liquids and Solids in Longmont were forced to evacuate the restaurant just after noon yesterday after experiencing respiratory problems and nausea. According to Longmont Police Department spokesman Jeff Satur, seventeen employees were taken to area hospitals -- eight to Longmont United Hospital and nine with less serious symptoms to the Exempla Good Samaritan Medical Center in Lafayette -- for exposure to what was at first thought to be a refrigerant leak.

See also: The secret's out on Le Jardin Secret, a farmers' market coming to Larimer Square

After further investigation, Satur says, officials determined the problem might have been caused by an overworked water heater, incomplete gas combustion and a resulting buildup of fumes that are normally vented away from the building.

The workers who were hospitalized were released the same day after their symptoms diminished. Another seven employees who were exposed recovered quickly after exiting the building and being treated by responders from the Longmont Fire Department and Longmont HAZMAT team. No customers were affected.

Oskar Blues remains closed today, but will reopen once the issue is corrected, an employee says. An exact date is not yet available.



Location Info

Oskar Blues Liquids and Solids

1555 S. Hover Road, Longmont, CO

Category: General


Sponsor Content

My Voice Nation Help
9 comments
Jake Gillet
Jake Gillet

the bag i got goes in dumpster tomorrow morning

Jake Gillet
Jake Gillet

shit, what did you find about the chub n cheddar?

Tommy Griffith
Tommy Griffith

Jake Gillet and you eat the chub and cheddar. Tisk tisk.

James Brockman
James Brockman

That's wild. Thankfully we didn't go. Crystal Curtis.

Ian Arnold
Ian Arnold

I hope I'm not the only one that found this headline strangely hilarious.

Mantonat
Mantonat topcommenter

Note that, as mentioned in the article itself, the cause of the illness was fumes from a faulty water heater, not food served at the restaurant. Also note where it says that no customers were affected.

DonkeyHotay
DonkeyHotay topcommenter

... quite the pun if it was intentional.

Now Trending

From the Vault

 

Loading...