Reader: A bowl of chili down my back, and not even an offer to help me clean up

chilidanger.jpg
Danger!
During an otherwise pleasant review meal at The Kitchen Next Door Glendale, Gretchen Kurtz watched as a busser dropped a utensil into a bowl filled with broth -- which splashed all over her husband's shirt. Mistakes happen all the time at restaurants, she notes; what's important is what happens next. In this case, the busser apologized -- but no one else from the restaurant appeared with a little sweetener, maybe even an offer to pay for cleaning the shirt, as is common practice at some restaurants. And that includes the Kitchen Next Door, Kurtz found when she later followed up with the general manager of all three restaurants. The goal is to "make it right for guests," and in this case the busser dropped the ball as well as the utensil.

See also:
Mistakes happen at restaurants -- it's what happens next that matters

But mistakes happen, and our readers recall some doozies. Says Jan89:

Many years ago, there was a cafeteria-style restaurant downtown that served many variations of chili. The guy in line behind me wasn't paying attention and dumped his bowl of chili down my back and the restaurant staff did nothing. It obviously was not their fault, but there was not even an offer to help me clean off my winter coat, which was dripping with chili. I had to go back to work to clean up and did not get the lunch that I had already paid for. I never went back to the restaurant.
Nor did many other people, apparently, since the place is gone.

What's your worst restaurant mistake story? And what did the managers do to compensate? Spill the details below.

Read Gretchen Kurtz's review of The Kitchen Next Door here.


Location Info

The Kitchen Next Door

658 South Colorado Boulevard, Glendale, CO

Category: Restaurant

My Voice Nation Help
8 comments
Dominic Lopez
Dominic Lopez

Lonestar always servers me a frozen steak and a cold potato I hate that place

Debbie Parker
Debbie Parker

Biscuits and Gravy and at the time I had long black hair! What a mess!

Covana
Covana

Sounds like a soup kitchen

Scott Kindelsperger
Scott Kindelsperger

Beef Stew that the meat was of so poor quality it still had large (as in your finger would fit inside them) veins/arteries running through it. Thankfully that was in another city.

Noel Shea Gaskell
Noel Shea Gaskell

Very similar happened to me, but it was a tray full of Ice Water.

dsgiacalone
dsgiacalone

Several years ago, at Denver's long-time cheap French restaurant I had a half finished bowl of soup poured over my head and down my shirt (front and back) by a waitress - who just looked aghast and ran away. No one offered to help clean me up, and needless to say our lunch was ruined (we had just ordered and received our drinks). Although the restaurant did pay to dry clean my new suede jacket, I had to insist that they do so - days later. At the time, I left with soup in my bra. Not a great experience, and I think I've only been back once since then (used to be a favorite spot). Yes, what happens after mistakes happen is key.

DavidWinter
DavidWinter

At Kaos Pizza last summer, my mother in law ordered the linguine with clams, which comes in a piping hot broth.  The food runner couldn't have been more than 16 and when he came to bring the dishes out, he was setting the linguine in front of the wrong person at the table.  In his attempt to do a last second switch, he doused his hand in the liquid, which was burning hot.  Dropped the dish and the liquid and contents right into my mother in law's brand new purse which they had just bought on a European vacation.  To their credit, Kaos did their best to clean it up.  The food is always good at Kaos but the service can be hit or miss.  We got both in the same night that time.

Daniel Shalik
Daniel Shalik

A female sever was attempting to light candles on the table on Valentine's Day and set the table on fire igniting the dinner napkin. Needless to say things went downhill from there.

Now Trending

From the Vault

 

Loading...