The Westword.com blog shortcut, June 29 edition
Today in Cafe Society:
• ESPN ZONE turns off the scoreboard, blames economy.
• Tonight: A symphony of food and wine at Opus.
• Milking It: All-Bran Yogurt Bites.
• Bad weekend for barbecue at Big Hoss, Q Worldly Barbecue.
• Bye-bye, Brandon's.
• Arrivederci, Alto.
• Ask the Critic: Where to get a good cart lunch.
Today in Backbeat Online:
• Over the Weekend: White Rabbits at Bluebird Theater.
• Are you indie or independent?
• Over the Weekend: Here We Go Magic at Larimer Lounge.
• Dialed In: This week's local music radio playlists.
Today in The Latest Word:
• Rockies can become contenders, not pretenders, in Dodgers series.
• How much will Michael Jackson's death cost Phil Anschutz?
• Anti-Gym's Michael Karolchyk on Fox News -- and at Goodwill.
• Denver "examiner" wants city to launch Extraterrestrial Affairs Commission. Oh, and he hates NASA.
• Oil-and-gas study ranks Colorado: We're number fifty! Apparently, we're built to be last.