Joan Cougar Menstrualcramp!: Top ten roller derby nicknames in the U.S.A.
One reason roller derby can seem campy is the nicknames the skaters give themselves, which are sometimes witty and sometimes cute and sometimes downright pee-your-pants intimidating.
Beyonslay, of the Gotham Girls Roller Derby
Though some ultra-competitive skaters have abandoned their silly derby names and eyebrow-raising uniforms when they compete for national rankings, a concept explored in this week's feature, "Denver's Roller Derby Rivalry Could Start the Sport Rolling Across the Country," the entertainment-y aspects of derby are still a big part of what attracts fans.
With that in mind, we bring you our picks for top ten derby names in the country, as listed on the International Rollergirls' Master Roster website. The list prevents skaters from choosing the same name as someone else, which is considered bad form. There can be only one Carmen Slamdiego, after all.
10. Demonica Lewinsky, DC Rollergirls
9. Erin Dropabitch, River City Rollergirls
8. Teeny Mussolini, Dockyard Derby Dames
7. Gloria Hole, Brewcity Bruisers
6. Mazel Tov Cocktail, Blue Ridge Rollergirls
5. Joan Cougar Mentstrualcramp, Big Easy Rollergirls
4. Leave it to Cleavage, Sonoma County Roller Derby
3. Risky Bitchness, Syndicate Roller Girls
2. Slaybia Majora, Rose City Rollers
1. Beyonslay, Gotham Girls Roller Derby