50 reasons we're glad we live in Denver and not the United States
The morning after election day, the author R.L. Stine tweeted, "I'm so glad I live in New York City and not in the United States." It's a sentiment we appreciate except for one thing: We'd much rather live in Denver than either New York City or the United States.
Denver, how we love you.
During the daily hustle and bustle (especially this time of year), we sometimes forget to stop and think about how lucky we are to call the Mile High City home. So we asked Westword staffers to tell us what they love most about D-town. Our top fifty is below. Bet the list will put a smile on Denverties -- and fill the rest of you with envy. But you can always visit...
50. What other city has a blue, badass horse of the apocalypse greeting people at the airport...
49. ...Which just happens to have inspired conspiracy theories even the-world-is-going-to-end-in-2012 believers probably think are twisted?
48. Dive bars galore.
47. Even terrorists who live here would rather attack somewhere else...
46. We're only a short drive away from historic gambling towns -- where you can still gamble.
45. The town hero isn't ready to let the football team go down without a fight.
43. The shit-stompin' National Western Stock Show and Rodeo!
42. Pimped-out pedicabs!
41. If Lindsay Lohan violates her parole, we know it before anyone.
40. Every day is like the Great American Beer Festival.
39. Home of Tom Cat condoms.