Jeremy Shipley: Fall from 4th floor apartment after being locked out didn't kill him
Jeremy Shipley reportedly did something a lot of us do at one time or another -- got a little tipsy, then discovered he'd locked himself out of his apartment and tried to climb in a window. Problem is, said window was on the fourth floor. He soon fell and died afterward -- but from a surgical complication, not the impact, his father says.
Shipley's LinkedIn profile, on view in its entirety below, features an impressive list of accomplishments for someone so young. The CU-Boulder graduate turned YES! Communities financial analyst was just 24 on September 10 when he fell forty feet from the top of the Retreat at the Park Apartments, 1620 Fillmore Street.
According to a police report quoted by 7News in the report linked above, "The victim lost the keys to his residence and decided to climb up to his balcony in order to enter his residence" at around 1 a.m. Unfortunately, he was intoxicated at the time and lost his balance.
Shipley's Facebook photo.
However, Shipley didn't pass away immediately. Indeed, the Denver coroner lists his official time of death as 4:30 a.m. on September 18, more than eight days later.
What happened? Shipley's father tells 7News that his son suffered several broken bones, necessitating what he portrays as fairly routine surgery. But Jeremy experienced an embolism; fatty tissue entered his bloodstream and blocked blood to his brain during the attempted insertion of a steel rod. After this complication, he never regained consciousness.
Here's Shipley's LinkedIn profile:
Jeremy Shipley Financial Analyst at YES! Communities
Current: Financial Analyst at YES! Communities
Past: Operations and Finance Intern at Sohgave! (Formerly Random Dimensions Sales & Marketing), Student Liaison at Off Campus Student Services, International Sourcing Intern at QualMark Corporation
Education: University of Colorado at Boulder -- Leeds School of Business, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Jeremy Shipley's Summary
Financial modeling and valuation, financial analysis, forecasting and inventory management, bookkeeping, business development.
Jeremy Shipley's Experience
Privately Held; Real Estate industry
August 2011 -- Present (2 months) Denver, CO
Operations and Finance Intern
Sohgave! (Formerly Random Dimensions Sales & Marketing)
Food Production industry
April 2010 -- January 2011 (10 months)
• Created company business plan, including financial forecasting and valuation model, pro forma financial statements, breakeven analysis and funding needs.
• Developed sales and production forecasts used for inventory ordering and financial projections. Implemented COGS and gross margin analysis to optimize suppliers and sales efforts.
• Designed and managed order processing and inventory management system and corresponding workbooks. Managed raw materials ordering, and inventory and production schedule to fulfill purchase orders.
• Analyzed market trends using SPINs data, Mintel Market Reports, and Google Analytics.
• Performed accounting and bookkeeping responsibilities in QuickBooks.
• Administered a summer long online marketing campaign and optimized the project based on ROI analysis.
Off Campus Student Services
Educational Institution; Higher Education industry
October 2007 -- May 2010 (2 years 8 months)
• Assisted students' search for housing and educated students about city ordinances and off campus living.
• Helped maintain a positive relationship between students and city residents through liaison activities such as housing presentations and residential visits.
• Interacted with local property management companies and city organizations to help set up two annual housing fairs.
International Sourcing Intern
Public Company; QMRKC; Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing industry
May 2009 -- July 2009 (3 months)
• Launched a research and business development project to help migrate a portion of the company's operations to Asia.
• Developed criteria for suitable suppliers in Asia and served as the point of contact with potential companies and trade organizations.
• Created and sent Request For Quotations, negotiated prices, and evaluated companies based on various aspects of their operations and business model.
• Presented two Asian suppliers to senior management that will save the company up to $100,000 annually.
Shipley Financial & Tax Advisors, PLLC
Privately Held; Accounting industry
August 2006 -- August 2008 (2 years 1 month)
• Conducted data entry, word processing, and used Microsoft Excel and other computer applications such as QuickBooks, ACT!, and SalesForce to assist in everyday business operations.
• Created binders, documents, and brochures and presentations used during client visits, and worked on creating the company website.
• Became acquainted with an overview of the functions of an accounting and financial planning firm through various special projects.
Jeremy Shipley's Education
University of Colorado at Boulder - Leeds School of Business
BSBA in Business Administration, Finance, Entrepreneurship
2006 -- 2010
Relevant Coursework: Senior Seminar in Finance, Capital Investment Analysis, Investment and Portfolio Management, Corporate Finance, Entrepreneurial Finance, Business Plan Preparation, Corporate Financial Reporting, Advanced Business Law
Relevant Projects: Corporate Valuation Term Project (Fall 2010), Business Plan (Fall 2010, 1st place in Deming Center for Entrepreneurship Contest), Financial Projection and Valuation Project (Spring 2010), Feasibility Analysis (Spring 2009)
Activities and Societies: Sigma Alpha Epsilon (Alumni Chairman and Pledge Class Treasurer), CU Finance Club, CU Collegiate Entrepreneurs' Organization, Boulder Freeride, CU Kayak Club
More from our News archive: "Brady Kane dies doing what he loved most -- skydiving: See video he recorded last year."