Medical marijuana: 10 years for Cheeba Chews in Japan? Western states aren't much kinder
• Possession of two ounces or less of marijuana is a petty offense. The offender receives a summons to appear in court, and upon a promise to appear in court, the offender is to be released from detention. The maximum penalty for a violation is $100. Failure to appear at the specified time and location results in the increase of the charges to a misdemeanor.
• Possession of greater than two ounces is a misdemeanor, punishable by 6-18 months in jail and a fine of $500 - $5,000, plus a $600 surcharge.
• Any other transfer, sale, manufacture or cultivation is a felony, punishable by 2 - 4 years in prison and a fine of $2,000 - $500,000 and a $1,500 surcharge.
• Possession of any amount of marijuana for personal use is punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500. For a second conviction the penalty increases to 10 - 42 months in jail and a fine of up to $100,000.
• Possession with intent to sell or actual sale is punishable by 14 -51 months in jail and a fine of up to $300,000.
• Possession of any amount of marijuana is punishable by up to one year in jail for the first offense and 2 - 10 years in prison for subsequent offenses. Conditional discharge is available to first time offenders
• Sale or delivery of less than 25 pounds is punishable by 2 years - life in prison and a fine of $20,000.
• 1 oz or less (first offense) is a misdemeanor, 15 days in jail with a fine of $50 - $100
• 1 oz or less (subsequent offense)is a misdemeanor, 1 year in jail and a fine of $100 - $1,000
• For a first offense, manufacture or distribution of 100 pounds or less of marijuana is punishable by up to 18 months in prison and a fine up to $5,000
• The possession of marijuana is a criminal offense. For possession of an amount less than two pounds the sentence can range from 6 mos. - 1.5 years and a fine of $750 - $150,000. - Possession of two or more pounds but less than four pounds is punishable by 9 mos. - 2 years in jail and a fine of $750 - $150,000. Possession of four pounds or more is punishable by 1.5 - 3 years in prison and a fine of $750 - $150,000.
• Sale or delivery for sale of less than two pounds of marijuana is punishable by 2.5 • 7 years in prison and a fine of $750 - $150,000.
*Note: Arizona's medical marijuana laws allow for reciprocation. Meaning, possession is legal in Arizona for Colorado medical marijuana patients.
Page down for the three worst neighboring state for getting busted with cannabis.