Erin Maison-Everhart: Negligent child abuse charge in two year old's Oxycodone death

annalise mckenna maison chavez.JPG
Annalise.
The photo seen to the right of two-year-old Annalise Maison-Chavez pictures an absolutely adorable child smiling for the camera. Unfortunately, though, the shot is from Annalise's obituary. The Broomfield girl died in February -- and now, her mother has been formally charged with negligent child abuse resulting in death. The reason has everything to do with the reason for Annalise's demise: Oxycodone toxicity.

During the early evening of February 18, according to police reports cited by the Boulder Daily Camera, Broomfield police and rescue personal rushed to Coral Way home where Annalise lived with her mom, Erin Maison-Everhart. The report notes that Annalise was "pale blue in color and did not display any signs of life."

erin maison everhart.jpg
Erin Maison-Everhart, right.
Suspicion immediately fell on medications left within the child's reach. Maison-Everhart insisted that she kept her pills in a safe place, but in a search of her home a couple of weeks later, investigators found a bag filled with sealed medication bottles left on the floor of a bedroom closet in the basement, plus more in a dresser and a purse hanging from it.

Among the meds was Oxycodone -- and that's what appears to have killed Annalise. As noted by the Camera, the Adams County coroner determined that she had 1,702 nanograms of the substance in her system at the time of her death. The typical dose: ten to 100 nanograms.

Maison-Everhart is due in court on October 5.

More from our Colorado Crimes archive: "Danielle Lynn Brockman charged with child abuse, neglect after 2 kids left alone die in fire."

My Voice Nation Help
8 comments
john_z
john_z

If the little retard's gonna eat everything it finds on the floor, it's just natural selection at work.

RobertChase
RobertChase topcommenter

Society has a fully articulated system for regulating drugs -- the only problem is that it is almost entirely irrational.  In this case, the system may have been dispensing substantial amounts of oxycodone to a mother, and should have taken cognizance of that fact, possibly by requiring her physician to impress upon her the need to treat a toxic medication with the respect it is due.  It is ironic that while the contemptible nonsense which are Colorado's statutes maintain that parents cultivating cannabis thereby commit child abuse (and prohibitionist shills claim that mold poses serious risk to the health of people who grow houseplants, to back up the State's home invasions and child-snatchings with lies and fear), children do die under circumstances suggesting that their parents had a problem with drugs (other than cannabis) -- problems such as having so much oxycodone lying around that a toddler could gobble enough to kill her.

SeizeTheDay
SeizeTheDay

I'm gonna take a wild shot in the dark here and say that mommy has headaches or chronic hangnails, so she needs BOTTLES AND BOTTLES of heavy narotics, prescribed by different doctors of course, laying around the house.  It's probably pretty easy to lose track of a few pills when you're looped out of your mind and you have them stashed everywhere.  Prescription pain pills are the new suburban crack. 

Aaron LeForce
Aaron LeForce

sure am glad the government is spending money regulating marijuana rather then prescription drugs....no one abuses or gets killed by prescription drugs.

Snuffalupagus
Snuffalupagus

Thank god the child had access to those safe, government approved drugs like Oxycodone. Just think of the mayhem that might have ensued if the little girl had access to the dangerous, heathen devil weed marijuana? She might have consumed some and gone to sleep for a while! Or LISTENED TO JAZZ! Now she's dead! It's all for the children, keep the weed illegal and pass the Oxy, baby! And the Prozac, and the Valium, and the Xanax, and.........

Juan_Leg
Juan_Leg

I've been prescribed heavy narcotics for over 10 yrs  & not once , have I left my medications lying around in the open easily accessed by anyone . I don't even have children . It's the proper way to store all meds as was taught as a child ...

The_Yeti_Knows
The_Yeti_Knows

@john_z Probably explains the brown tongue and coldsores you suffer to this very day

Now Trending

From the Vault

 

Loading...