Jessica Ridgeway predator search: Could killer have attended her memorial service?
Update, 5:52 a.m. October 16: As the hunt continues for what Westminster Police Chief Lee Birk describes as a "predator in our community," plans are being finalized for tonight's memorial service in honor of ten-year-old Jessica Ridgeway, found murdered in an Arvada open space area last week. Other events are scheduled as well, with the goal of raising money, awareness or both. Meanwhile, Denver officials are promoting child safety. Get the latest details below.
The Missing Jessica Ridgeway Facebook page, which had been the online nexus for the latest info about the search for the girl, who disappeared on the way to school on Friday, October 5, has transitioned into a place to learn about various remembrances. Here's the basic information about tonight's memorial service:
...and a memorial car cruise slated for this weekend.
I Just Want To Remind Everybody That This Is Not Over. One Of My Daughter's Friends Was Approached This Morning At Memorial Park. He Was Asking Her If She Would Like To Go For A Ride In His Car She Freaked Out And Ran & From What I Hear He Chased Her For A Few. She Ultimately Got Away. He Is Described As Having A Goatee, He Looked To Be In His Thirties And Around Six Feet In Height. He Was Wearing A Black Hoodie & Green Shirt. Please Don't Let Your Children Walk To School Anymore. It Might Be The Same Guy But It Might Also Be A Copycat. Again Please Take Your Children To School If They Walk.Messages like these are reenforced by the Denver Department of Safety, which yesterday shared safety tips from the Denver Police Department "in light of the recent tragedy in the City of Westminster." The list includes the following:
• Teach your children not to talk with strangers.Additional resources can be found at SafetyCops.com.
• Never approach a motor vehicle for someone asking directions. Adults don't need directions from KIDS!
• Never get into a car with someone you don't know, for any reason.
• Never take candy from a stranger or approach a stranger to see his nice puppy dog in the car.
• If a stranger does approach your child, tell them to remember the license plate number of the motor vehicle and to report this information to you immediately.
• Create a walking school bus. This term refers to a walking group of children walking to or from school with one or more adults.
• Never play in deserted areas -- such as empty playgrounds, parks, construction sites or dumps.
• Teach your child how to use the telephone and how to call the police, 911 if available.
Also online is JessicaRidgeway.com, another site raising funds for the family. It includes the following paragraph:
We are saddened by the discovery of the murder of Jessica Ridgeway. The community has given so much support and it is greatly appreciated. Words can not express the gratitude that Jessica's Family and Friends have for the Community, the media for getting this story out, Westminster Police Department, the FBI, and other local and federal law enforcement.Continue to see our previous coverage, including photos and videos.