Photos: Top fourteen cities for dog attacks on postal workers -- and where Denver ranks
Number 2: San Antonio, Texas, and Seattle, Washington
Number 1: Los Angeles, California
Total attacks: 69
• Never leave a baby or small child alone with a dog.
• Don't run past a dog. The dog's natural instinct is to chase and catch you.
• If a dog threatens you, don't scream. Avoid eye contact. Try to remain motionless until the dog leaves, then back away slowly until the dog is out of sight.
• Never approach a strange dog, especially one that's tethered or confined.
• Don't disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating or caring for puppies.
• Anyone wanting to pet a dog should first obtain permission from the owner.
• Always let a dog see and sniff you before petting the animal.
• If you believe a dog is about to attack you, try to place something between yourself and the dog, such as a backpack or a bicycle.
• If you are knocked down by a dog, curl into a ball and protect your face with your hands.
More from our Lists & Weirdness archive: "Photos: Ten favorite dog names in Colorado and more."