Photos: CU-Boulder slips from top Reefer Madness school, misses party school top ten
The latest edition of the Princeton Review's annual party schools list is out, and for the second consecutive year, CU-Boulder didn't make the cut -- this despite being named Playboy's best party school as recently as 2011, and finishing third in the Daily Beast's rankings last year. But despite two years' worth of crackdowns on the school's once notorious 4/20 celebration, CU-Boulder still places high on the Review's Reefer Madness list -- although it's slipped from first to second. Details, photos and more below.
Big photos below.
CU-Boulder officials have repeatedly shared their hope that closing the campus to outsiders on April 20 will squelch the 4/20 event once and for all, with an adjustment of the school's pot-haven rep a desired side effect. But shut downs in consecutive years, with the 2013 version being particularly uneventful, have yet to make much of an impact on the Princeton Review's reefer-madness category.
Here's the top ten:
1. Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY
2. University of Colorado, Boulder
3. Evergreen State College, Olympia, Wash.
4. Eckerd College, St. Petersberg, Fla.
5. University of California, Santa Barbara
6. University of Vermont, Burlington
7. Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
8. University of Oregon, Eugene
9. Pitzer College, Claremont, Calif.
10. University of California, Santa Cruz
1. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
2. University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.
3.University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill.
4. West Virginia University, Morgantown W. Va.
5. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
6. University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
7. Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
8. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
9. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
10. Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pa.
1. Brigham Young University, Provo, UtahTaken as a whole, the Review's lists suggest that the CU-Boulder administration is making progress when it comes to recasting the school's rep -- but that progress is mighty slow.
2. Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.
3. College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Mo.
4. Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
5. U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
6. Grove City College, Grove City, Pa.
7. Wesleyan College, Macon, Ga.
8. U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.
9. U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
10. Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.
Look below to see photos by Westword's Britt Chester of last year's 4/20 event, when the vibe-harshing began in earnest.
Continue for more photos of CU-Boulder's first attempt to shut down 4/20 on campus.
Photo by Britt Chester