Top

blog

Stories

 

Nathan Campbell reportedly bought Venice hit-and-run Dodge Avenger in Colorado

Categories: News

nathan.campbell.mug.shot.205x205.jpg
Big photos and more below.
Update: Yesterday, we noted that Nathan Campbell, arrested for a fatal and apparently intentional hit and run at Venice Beach in California, was from Colorado; see our previous coverage below. Now, we're learning that the car he used in the vehicular onslaught was purchased here. And information is also surfacing about a slew of mostly petty crimes Campbell committed in the Denver area before he drove into a crowd, injuring eleven people and killing one -- a young bride on her honeymoon. Details and more below.

As we've reported, surveillance footage showed a man believed to be Campbell near a sedan later identified as a 2008 Dodge Avenger this past Saturday. He then hopped behind the wheel and drove into the crowd, seemingly aiming at people before zooming away.

nathan.campbell.car.surveillance.footage.jpg
A surveillance image of people fleeing from the Dodge Avenger.
A number of vendors were struck, as were just plain folks visiting one of Southern California's most popular and memorable tourist attractions.

Among them was Alice Gruppioni, who had been married three days earlier to Christian Casadei in Italy and was enjoying her honeymoon when she was struck and killed. Here's a Facebook photo of Alice at the wedding with her father as shared by the New York Daily News.

alice.gruppioni.father.valerio.christian.casadei.jpg
Facebook
A few hours after the nightmare at the beach, Campbell turned himself in at a Santa Monica police station -- a setting that wouldn't have seemed unusual to him, given the criminal record recounted by the Los Angeles Times.

The arrest on Campbell's record that's closest to what happened over the weekend -- reckless driving involving alcohol -- took place in Panama City Beach, Florida; he lived in that state and Georgia for a time. However, the Times reveals that he called Colorado home until relocating to California a short time ago -- and while he was here, he kept authorities busy with a number of mostly minor infractions.

Among his offenses was trespassing and disturbing the peace. He pleaded guilty to the former (the latter was dropped) and was ordered to pay a fine; when he didn't, he was jailed for several days in 2009. That same year, he was busted for shoplifting from the now defunct Virgin Megastore on the 16th Street Mall (he got five days for swiping a pair of headphones). A few months later, he was charged with trespassing after buying a ticket at the Denver Pavilions movie theater, from which he'd been banned (he had to take part in a sheriff's work program for that).

venice.beach.hit.and.run.2.jpg
More recently, he cobbled together enough money to purchase the Dodge Avenger from a dealership in Littleton. Months later, he would allegedly use it to create hurt, heartbreak and tragedy.

Here's a larger look at Campbell's mug shot, followed by our previous coverage, including more photos and videos.

nathan.campbell.mug.shot.jpg
Nathan Campbell.
Continue to see our previous coverage of Nathan Campbell and the fatal hit and run on Venice Beach.


Sponsor Content

My Voice Nation Help
12 comments
sunsizza
sunsizza

Effin small towners, if you can't handle life in the big city, stay home! 

Che Harness
Che Harness

lack of oxygen from being a mile high keeps us docile. When we go other places we become drunk on oxygen.

Nicholas Medina
Nicholas Medina

He drove a Dodge Avenger. I think enough of a sign to prove he's crazy.

DonkeyHotay
DonkeyHotay topcommenter

Colorado Drivers ... they suck everywhere they go.

Jack Wenzinger
Jack Wenzinger

I won't say he's crazy but moving from Colorado to California is what we call a "tell".

Nicholas Richter
Nicholas Richter

What do you mean by "always"? Maybe it's because when there is a story like this it only catches your eye when you see, "Colorado".

Jean Sisneros
Jean Sisneros

Looks like he was checking out where he was going to plow into!

Michael Keyes
Michael Keyes

Colorado native? Looked like a white guy to me

Russell Lott
Russell Lott

is there a liberal movement to ban cars yet? is anyone yelling about how it's the car that causes the crime, and not the driver behind the wheel?

Channing Henson
Channing Henson

If by "always" you mean "occasionally", then I would agree.

dmns2003
dmns2003

@Russell Lott 68% of homicides are by guns which means the other 32% is knives, arson, baseball bats, cars, saws and anything else you can think of COMBINED!!!! thats FBI data!!!! 

Now Trending

Denver Concert Tickets

From the Vault

 

Loading...