Clayton Smith accused in hash-oil explosion that lifted roof off house, burned child
Way back in 2009, we posted about the risk of explosion when making butane hash oil indoors. But some people continue to do so, with sometimes disastrous results.
Big photos, video below.
Example: an explosion and fire at a residence in the small town of Carr, Colorado that reportedly lifted the roof off the house and injured two men, Clayton Smith and Levi Allen, as well as a seven-year-old child who was present at the time. Get details and see both a video and Smith's arrest affidavit below.
Arguably the highest profile hash-oil-related explosion this year to date took place at a hotel in San Diego, not far from Sea World. As reported by our William Breathes on the Toke of the Town blog, the blast did about $600,000 worth of damage and seriously injured the couple in question.
An animated video produced after the incident does a pretty efficient job of describing the hash-oil-making procedure and how it can go wrong. The entire clip is below, but here's a quick graphic primer.
The process begins with finely ground marijuana being placed into a special pipe....
Because of this possibility, butane hash oil is typically manufactured outside, so that the butane can dissipate harmlessly. Inside, it can collect and linger -- and when ignition occurs, the results can be ugly.
Which brings us to the incident in Carr. Here's how the police report describes what happened.
Continue for more about the hash-oil explosion, including a video and the complete arrest affidavit.