Pray for Vince: Standley Lake student in critical condition after setting himself on fire at school
At 7:30 a.m. this morning, Standley Lake High in Westminster will open, but only for those students who left something behind or would like to speak to a counselor about the horrific events that closed the school yesterday. That's when a troubled sixteen-year-old reportedly drank a water bottle full of bleach and set himself on fire. The teen, who's been identified by media organizations and numerous posters on social media as Vince Nett, remains in critical condition at an area hospital. Photos, videos and details about this sad, shocking story below.
Photos, videos and more below.
At 7:12 a.m. yesterday, according to the Westminster Police Department, officers received reports about a fire inside the high school, located on the 10400 block of Holland Street.
Both police and fire staffers rushed to the scene, where they learned that a teenage boy, Nett, had stepped into the cafeteria and set himself on fire. The burns he suffered were severe, with 7News estimating that they cover 80 percent of his body.
An image from the scene, from 7News coverage.
The fire was put out by a custodian, using a fire extinguisher. A woman who works at the school suffered a minor injury when breaking the glass case that held the extinguisher. Otherwise, the only person hurt was Nett, who police believe was trying to commit suicide and didn't intend to harm anyone else.
A friend of Nett's who spoke with 9News says she only started noticing worrisome behavior within the past week. But his Facebook page features a number of graphics that are positively heartrending when viewed in retrospect.
Here's one that was posted this past September....
Still, it was a Facebook message only shared with his friends that was especially alarming.
Continue for more about the suicide attempt at Standley Lake High School yesterday, including additional photos and videos.