Photos: Motel blaze joins our list of top six recent hash-oil explosions
Update: Last week, we highlighted five recent explosions, allegedly caused by people whose attempts to make butane hash oil went up in smoke; see our previous coverage below.
Big photos and more below.
Apparently, two people at a Grand Junction motel didn't heed our warnings, because their hash-oil-making efforts ended in flames, burns and a new entry on our list. Below, see photos and details about this explosion and five others, plus information about why the process is so dangerous.
March 9, 2014
This image and others pertaining to the Grand Junction explosion come courtesy of KREX-TV.
On Sunday night, according to the Grand Junction Police Department, emergency personnel rushed to the Monument Inn, a motel on the town's main drag of North Avenue, on a report of an explosion.
There, they found a small fire that needed extinguishing, plus two people injured badly enough to require hospitalization. One of the pair appeared to have burns on his body.
Here's the department's primer on hash oil and the inherent dangers of manufacturing it.
Marijuana butane hash oil is created by using butane to extract THC from marijuana to produce THC concentrate. THC is the chemical that creates the high for the user. Because of the flammable materials used there is a high risk of an explosion, especially when there's an ignition source nearby. Lit cigarettes, static electricity, and even light switches are a few examples of potential ignition sources, but there are a variety of others. We are aware from news reports of similar explosions happening recently in several cities across the country, including incidents on the Front Range of Colorado.
In the meantime, the GJPD is investigating the Monument Inn as possible arson, with other charges possible.
Continue for more about six recent hash-oil explosions, and why the process is so dangerous, including more photos.