Denver duplex explosion just the latest hash-oil disaster in Colorado
There was a whole lot of shaking going on in northwest Denver last Sunday, when an attempt to make hash oil exploded in a rental duplex in the 2900 block of Julian Street. Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey formally charged 40-year-old Jeff Garbarek, 39-year-old Steve Donnel and and 43-year-old Scott Mitchell with fourth-degree arson in connection with their cannabis-cooking incident; they are scheduled to appear in Denver County Court on April 9. In the meantime, hands off the butane! This was just the latest in a string of hash-oil disasters; keep reading for our top six.
March 9, 2014
This image and others pertaining to the Grand Junction explosion come courtesy of KREX-TV.
On Sunday night, according to the Grand Junction Police Department, emergency personnel rushed to the Monument Inn, a motel on the town's main drag of North Avenue, on a report of an explosion.
There, they found a small fire that needed extinguishing, plus two people injured badly enough to require hospitalization. One of the pair appeared to have burns on his body.
Here's the department's primer on hash oil and the inherent dangers of manufacturing it.
Marijuana butane hash oil is created by using butane to extract THC from marijuana to produce THC concentrate. THC is the chemical that creates the high for the user. Because of the flammable materials used there is a high risk of an explosion, especially when there's an ignition source nearby. Lit cigarettes, static electricity, and even light switches are a few examples of potential ignition sources, but there are a variety of others. We are aware from news reports of similar explosions happening recently in several cities across the country, including incidents on the Front Range of Colorado.
In the meantime, the GJPD is investigating the Monument Inn as possible arson, with other charges possible.
Continue for more about six recent hash-oil explosions, and why the process is so dangerous, including more photos.