This Weekend In Stoke: Top five ways to celebrate being alive, November 12-14
1. Opening weekend at Breck. More than six inches of fresh pow for opening day today and 17" so far this week mean you could be skiing or snowboarding on some serious snow right now. Get to it. There are also freshies to be had this weekend at Loveland, A-Basin, Keystone and Wolf Creek (they're celebrating College Day at Wolf Creek on Sunday: Bring a valid college photo ID for $31 lift tickets).
Liam Doran/Breckenridge Ski Resort Now we're talkin'
2. 127 Hours. What's the worst vacation you've ever taken? Did you end up having to saw your own arm off with a pocketknife? Yeah, well, quit yer bitchin' then. Director Danny Boyle's film stars James Franco as Aron Ralston, caught between a rock and a hard place. Opens tonight at the Mayan Theatre (check out Dan Kois' full review ).
3. Colorado Mountain Club's 18th annual Backcountry Bash. The Backcountry Bash on Saturday at the American Mountaineering Center in Golden ($30, 710 10th Street) is for a perfectly good cause -- supporting the Backcountry Snowsports Initiative -- but go ahead and go for more selfish reasons, like getting loaded on free drinks from Boulder's Avery Brewing and loading up on more than $20,000 worth of silent auction items like backcountry gear and ski hut tour packages. Pick up a copy of Chris Davenport's new book 50 Classic Ski Descents of North America to start putting all that gear to good use (he'll be there signing copies), and check out the special screening of his new film Australis: An Antarctic Odyssey if you need your definition of the term backcountry fleshed out a little bit.
4. SheJumps Barn Camp, Woodward at Copper. The SheJumps crew is all about getting more women involved in outdoor sports and focuses on "elite athletes," "already actives" and "never-evers" with equal aplomb. On Sunday they're taking over the Barn at Woodward from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. ($85, ladies only) to work out on the trampolines, foam pits, and synthetic snow features, the better to shred the rest of this season. It's also a big demo weekend at Copper Mountain: Get up there and try out some new gear.
Photo courtesy Woodward at Copper Inside the Barn
5. Garage Sale! If the cold snap this week hit you unprepared, try the members-only sale at REI's Denver Flagship store on Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., where you'll find massive deals on last year's gear and perfectly good stuff other people bought and returned. Click through for details on how it works, because these things tend to get a bit out-of-hand.