Ruby Nelda Perez shares a few words of wisdom from Doña Rosita's Jalapeño Kitchen
In her one-woman show Doña Rosita's Jalapeño Kitchen, Ruby Nelda Perez rules her realm of pots and pans with an iron will and a big bowl of laughs, all while musing over whether or not to sell out, leave her business behind and let greedy developers change the face of her neighborhood forever. The show is a rite of passage that Perez's most faithful fans will see again and again, because she's not just an actor on stage -- she's one of them.
In advance of the show's return this weekend to Su Teatro at the Denver Civic Theatre, we asked Perez to share some of Doña Rosita's Chicana witticisms as an appetizer.
1. "Go ahead. Marry him. Have your 2.4 kids!!!"
2. "How do you like your coffee? Con leche, bien caliente, asina like your mama use to make it? Hey!! Do I look like your mom? Go home and make it yourself!!!"
3. "Everybody has a purpose in life. Panfila was put on this earth to complain."
4. "She stopped going to Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, and now she goes to St. Mary's Star of the Sea. Jesus looks like a surfer."
5. ".....and there we were, in her gringo apartment, about to deliver another screaming Mexicano!"
Continue reading for more words of wisdom from Doña Rosita.